|“The Longjohn Flap”|
Radar offers to trade the longjohns for a date with Nurse Beddoes
| Season 1, Episode # 19 |
Number (#19) in series (256 episodes)
|Guest star(s)||Kathleen King |
|Original airdate||February 18, 1973|
|IMDB||The Longjohn Flap|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Dear Dad...Again" (J‑317)||"The Army-Navy Game" (J‑322)|
|"Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" (J‑318)||"Major Fred C. Dobbs" (J‑320)|
The Longjohn Flap, the 19th episode of Season 1 of the M*A*S*H TV series, was also the 19th overall series episode in both broadcast and production order. Written by Alan Alda, it was directed by William Wiard, and originally aired on CBS-TV on February 18, 1973.
Hawkeye receives a pair of longjohns in the mail, much to everyone else's envy. He lends them to an ill Trapper out of sympathy, who promptly loses them to Radar in a poker game. The longjohns pass through the hands of just about everyone in the camp before finally ending up in Hawkeye's possession again.
Full episode summaryEdit
It's freezing at the 4077th, unless you're Hawkeye, because he got some woolly underwear from home.
Trapper has a cold, and guilt-trips Hawkeye into giving the long-johns to him. Then Trapper loses them to Radar at poker. After offering to trade them to Nurse Beddoes for a possible date with her, Radar trades them to the cook who offers him a whole cooked leg of lamb (with mint jelly!).
The chef then uses them to bribe Burns not to demote him. Burns and Hot Lips have an argument about his wife, and to make it up to her he gives the lonjohns to her (Hot Lips, not his wife).
Klinger tries to rob Burns of the longjohns, because he's getting a terrible draft up his skirt. Burns tells Klinger that he gave the longjohns to Hot Lips, so he steals them from her.
Later Klinger, feeling guilty, confesses to the act to Father Mulcahy. He gives the longjohns to Mulcahy, who passes them to Henry as stolen property.
Henry is intent on keeping them but then comes down with appendicitis--so he is forced to take them off so that Hawkeye can operate on him, so Hawkeye finally gets his underwear back.
Research notes/Fun factsEdit
- If the long-johns were so essential to Hot Lips and she was so cold, why didn't she put them on instead of just leaving them on the clothesline behind her so someone could steal them?
- Hawkeye, Trapper, the cook and Henry are roughly the same build, so the long-johns would fit all them OK--but what about Radar, Klinger, Mulcahy and Hot Lips? Perhaps when it is cold enough anything is better than nothing.
- The Klinger Collection: Out on sentry duty with a short green dress and thin pink stole.
- Hawkeye says to Trapper: "Courage, Camille." This phrase originates from the play Camille by Alexander Dumas Jr. Potter also uses this phrase in Season 7 "Commander Pierce".
Guest stars/Recurring castEdit
- Jamie Farr ... Klinger
- William Christopher ... Father Mulcahy
- Kathleen King ... Nurse Beddoes
- Joseph Perry ... The Cook
(Major Frank Burns rebukes Klinger)
- Frank: The next time we meet, I want to see a shine on those high heels!